Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Lego City







Lego is one of those things that never goes away. I played with it as a kid, and in my 28 years working with kids, it has always been around. Many toys and trends have come and gone (anyone remember Mighty Beans or Pogs??) but Lego has found ways to stay popular with kids - well, not just with kids - I still like it too!




This summer one of the favourite things to do when we are not outdoors, is work on Lego city. Most of the boys have their own smaller bases/houses which are all part of the bigger city. The imagination I see here is incredible - the buildings and vehicles that have been created, but also the sharing and cooperation and working together. Right now as I write this, I'm looking at 10 boys gathered around the Lego area working and creating and interacting in the most interesting ways. There are little disagreements sometimes but they usually get resolved fairly quickly so as not to interfere with the fun.






The boys have been playing like this for an hour already and some would stay at it all day if we didn't have other plans (it's hot outside and there's a swimming pool calling to us!!).

1 comment:

  1. Lego is timeless... I always used to dream of the amazing things I could create with it - but with the basic set... Nowadays tho - it's just incredible! And the little 'down time' for the boys is a good thing - but nothing shuts down their creativity :D
    (btw... how much money did I spend on the previously noted trends... and Pokemon for both my boys...sigh!)

    ReplyDelete